Thursday, May 5, 2011

GUEST COLUMN by Nick Ruffilo to Announce a COOL EVENT: Drop Everything and Read

Enjoy your DEAR time. Drop Everything and Read. Event Time: Thursday May 26th, 2-3PM
Where: South Concourse of Javits

At 2pm on Thursday May 26th, join your fellow publishing professionals for a break from the hustle and bustle with some DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) time. Come, relax, swap galleys and stories with others, and have a wonderful time.

The publishing industry is built on two key components - writers and readers. Without writers, we would have no content to package and sell. Without readers, we would have no one to sell that content to. I’ve spent a relatively short time in publishing - only 3 ½ years - but I’ve learned a few things that I’d like to share with everyone:

1) Book industry people are amazing! As an outsider you embraced me, listened to my ideas, and helped to teach me about the wonderful nature of publishing. I’ve also come to find that this isn’t unique to me. Publishing professionals are generally nice people.

2) Publishing professionals love their product. Sure, bankers love money, but I’ve yet to work in an industry where 75% of a company was comprised of a sampling of its target market. Who better to curate and cultivate a product than the very people that love it.

3) Reading is cool. I grew up in a household where reading was something you did from time to time. Sure, it was valued, but the “cool” kids played sports and were popular. That mentality followed me around until just a few years ago when I went to my first publishing gathering. Beyond confirming my “readers are nice” affirmation, I learned that readers and reading are actually really cool.

“This is all good & well, but, so...?” That’s a great question and a perfect lead in. I want to give back to each and every one of you that have helped me in these past few years - directly or indirectly. I want to do that by giving you a time and place to do what you love most with the people that share the most in common with you.

I’m inviting people to come join me from 2-3pm on Thursday May 26th in the South Concourse for a blast from Kindergarten and just DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) for 30 minutes. The rest of the 30 minutes you can use to read, relax, run to your next meeting, or chat and catch up.

Don’t forget to bring your galleys you’ve collected during the show to swap with others (make sure you get what you want at BEA, not just what was handed to you).

I am also looking to give out goodies (candy, bookmarks, etc) and am looking for partners to help with the cost. If you are interested, please contact nruffilo@bookswim.com or call 201-248-2679.

I hope to see you there!

Nick Ruffilo
CIO/CTO
BookSwim.com
Office: 732-603-1091
Mobile: 201-248-2679
Twitter: @BookSwim

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to the events but was told yesterday that it was not a good place for bloggers.

    ReplyDelete